Thursday, September 24, 2009

What I Ate Yesterday in Marin County, CA

Life in Marin County, California is, as far as I can tell, pretty idyllic. My brother Tim is fortunate enough to call this place home, and we were fortunate yesterday to call Tim our tour guide of all things Marin.

We began the day with a drive over to the Tomales Bay and a stop at the Hog Island Oyster Company farm. We enjoyed three kinds of oysters: Kumamoto, the more regular sounding "extra small", and "small". The "Kumos" were the clear winner with their salty and creamy flavor. Service was simple; we received a tray, some oysters, and a shucking knife.

For lunch, I enjoyed a Caprese salad of local cheese, heirloom tomatoes, with McEvoy Ranch olive oil, and the best grilled cheese I've ever had at Osteria Stellina in Point Reyes Station. Our dessert was a simple almond teacake with a zinfandel-plum sauce and a small scoop of creme fraiche ice cream.

In the afternoon we killed some serious time on both the Bolinas and Stinson beaches.

After we drove back over the ever present Mount Tam, we settled in for dinner at Larkspur's Left Bank. Not much could have made me happier than my salad of frisee, lardon, and poached egg, and then my dinner of steak frites.

Life does not suck in Marin County.

Posted via email from SubstantialSandwich's posterous



Osteria Stellina on Urbanspoon

No comments: