Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Machaca Tacos with Pasilla Chiles and Cotija Cheese

I will never forget the first time I had true Sonoran-style Machaca in Phoenix, Arizona. Crispy and tender at the same time, Machaca is typically beef that has been dried, shredded, and then sauteed with onions or chiles. Tonight I made a riff on Machaca with leftover pot roast. I shreddded the beef, dabbed it dry with a paper towl, and sauteed it in very hot oil to get those sought after crispy bits.

Once the beef was almost finished, I tossed in some strips of pasilla chiles that I had roasted earlier. I garnished the tacos with fresh guacamole and chopped cilantro.

The crispy-tender beef combined with the earthy heat of the peppers and the salty cotija cheese made these some of the best tacos I have made in some time.

Posted via email from SubstantialSandwich's posterous

No comments: