Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mark Bittman Joins us For Dinner...

...Not really...but everything on the plate tonight comes directly from his Bitten-ness. Wanting for some time to try a recipe I spotted on Mark Bittman's The Minimalist for mashed potatoes with dandelion greens; I decided to give it a go and pair it with the home-y goodness of meatloaf (the recipe based loosely on a recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything).

With winter persisting (about 8 inches of snow so far today - it IS April 23rd, isn't it?) the dandelion greens were not plucked from my front yard, but snatched up at the grocery store for what I am sure is too much money for overgrown weeds.

A coarse mash on the potatoes and the rough-chopped and blanched greens become good friends in a baking dish when coated liberally with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bread crumbs, a bit more olive oil on top and a few minutes under the broiler and the mashed potatoes and weeds become something altogether different and wonderful. Savory, creamy, slightly bitter and the occasional crunch from the bread crumbs. Dude, and I haven't even had a bite of the meatloaf yet.

Look, the beef and pork combo was moist and good, but next to those potatoes....I think I am still blushing just a bit.

Here's the recipe for the potatoes.


Read the article and watch Mark do his thing here.

No comments: