Monday, October 5, 2009

Oct. 5: Tasty Turns and Few Rocks at Bridger Bowl

When I woke up to nearly six inches of October snow on my deck this morning, I knew what I was going to do with my day off: go to Bridger, walk up hill, attach skis to feet, and finally, attempt do all of this while avoiding injury to either ski or skier.

Mission UH-complished.

I have had far less prime early season skiing over the years. As it turns out, the snow that fell one week ago was acting as a sort of mini-base for the fresh fluff that fell overnight.  The real (and lets be honest, the ONLY) accumulation starts above the quad or Virginia City lifts. I would estimate that there is 14"+ on Pierre's higher slopes. 

Thanks to those far more hard core than myself, I followed a well-pronounced bootpack to the top of Pierre's Knob. On the way down, I kept things mellow as I linked sleepy turns between the weeds on Bridger's gentle (and nicely mowed) upper mountain groomers, always minding the "pillows" which I am sure concealed anything but.

Thanks to the plow that went up the Deer Park Road, I was able to ski the plow schwag all the way to my car. 

Sweet.

Posted via email from SubstantialSandwich's posterous

No comments: