Monday, July 6, 2009

Bryan, Texas: Los Norteños Cafe and Huevos Velveetos

In the interest of fairness, this post contains no photos. Just my words - whatever that's worth. Also: they DO NOT have a dish called "Huevos Velveetos".....read on....

After downing a tasty coffee in the LaSalle hotel's lobby, we decide that it is time to take on some breakfast calories. We wander across Bryan's Main Street to load up at a local institution: Los Norteños.

I have good - make that great - memories of this place. Home-made tortillas, creamy lard-enhanced refried beans, etc...basic, but good Tex-Mex.

I seemed to recall that the breakfast burritos were big. This theory is further reinforced when I ask our server if we would need one or two of these to fill up (at $3.99 each); when she states that one is plenty since it is made with six eggs.

I guess I didn't fully process that last bit, you know, about the SIX eggs. I was thinking surely she must have meant the equivalent of six eggs....easy eggs in a bag sort of thing....talking big, but really meaning two or three.

Judging from the Nerf-ball sized migas burrito that arrived at the table, they really do mean six eggs.

Also not mentioned is that they include about, oh, 24oz. of Velveeta in each burrito.

I am stopped, abruptly, about half way through this monster. I imagine my aorta filling with Velveeta, straining to pump the thick goo that I have ingested.

Check please.

We proceed back to the LaSalle and down Americano's to counteract the impending food coma that we surely deserve.

Posted via email from SubstantialSandwich's posterous

No comments: